Monday, November 7, 2016



My THE most FAVORITE Coffee in the whole entire world!!
CAFE INDIO 
from Honduras Central America



     Independence day in Honduras is in July. Every year we would get up early and travel by bus to the town of Independecia to celebrate and see the parade, shop in the Mercado, and buy tons of handmade pottery. Afterwards we would all have a picnic at the local hot springs. Everyone would walk around the side of this mountain to get back into the woods where there were three springs in different degrees of hot water. The first would sometimes be hot enough to boil an egg. Not for the faint of heart let me assure you! Then the ponds would get cooler and cooler as they went down the hill. Hot water heaters are not a typical thing in our village, so to have a warm bath was quite the treat to my family and friends. The average temperature each day is around 105 degrees so it is ALWAYS hot there, so hot water heaters are not necessary. Anyway, this is not about hot water heaters!
      My first friend from our village, who was not a family member was named Gladys. After our trek back to the bus we were all so thirsty! She handed Edwin and me a cup of hot coffee! HOT COFFEE on a day that was at least 110 degrees! He said are you trying to kill us or what? She said drink it, it will cool you off! Well she was right! It did! We just had a fit about that coffee, it was so smooth, and tasted just like Good coffee smells YUM!! And it was called CAFE INDIO.
     Flash forward 20 years and I just can't stop thinking about that coffee. It was a staple in our home from that wonderful Independence day on, and I had missed it all those years I had been back in America. Then low and behold, on a fluke, I looked it up on Ebay! and found some!! YUM!!! Just as good as I remembered!!
     I will share a picture with you down below of the wonderful gift I received from my favorite English student. His name is Henry and he and his lovely family sent me a whole box last Christmas!
I will share that story later, it is a very sweet one!!
I hope that one day you too will get to try this wonderful coffee!!!!
b



No comments:

Post a Comment