Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Outsider Art at Missouri Jane

Hey!
When you come in to Missouri Jane Cantina & Creamery, you will see lots of interesting things!
Photos that I took while living in Honduras Central America,  a seven pound-yes I said 7lb-sweet potato that a Mr. Lenox in Lacey's Spring grew, lots and lots of horses, cool tables with bamboo legs- and some Outsider Art!
I visited the famous Outsider Artists Howard Finster, from Athens Georgia, and his world famous museum-(what a place let me tell you), several years ago with some friends. We had a wonderful time looking at all of his treasures! He was sitting in his chair and visiting with folks, such a kind man. He told us the story of how he was painting an old bicycle, and saw the vision of an angel in a drop of paint, and that is how he started. Well he was so inspiring, and I had always done photography because I had no talent for painting, but I realized that day that it didn't matter- I had all of these ideas in my head that needed to come out!
So..I started painting,but I didn't want my photography and painting to be confused so I used the name of my Great Grandmother-Missouri Jane. The images that I painted were things that I had lived as a child, so I chose the name Missouri Jane because I loved that name and because it just fit!
Little did I know that one day I would open a restaurant and use the same name!
 Later, I went back to Athens for Fenster Fest in 2004 , even though Howard was not there, His spirit was, the night before there had been a huge storm that washed away a lot of the artist  tents and canopies, but they did not give up!  They said that if Howard were alive -He wouldn't let them give up!
 So,I bought the cross to add to my collection, and to remember the day.
I hope you will stop in sometime, and have a bite to eat, and look around at all of our "treasures".

No comments:

Post a Comment